Hawaii Disability Grants

If you’re a Hawaii resident in need of a new or used wheelchair van, apply for state disability grants. It doesn’t matter whether you want to lease or buy. Financial aid can even go toward installing a ramp, a swiveling seating system, a wheelchair or scooter lift, adaptive driving controls and other accessories and modifications.

The following resources are a launching point for finding Hawaii disability grants for a handicap van. A number of state government departments and other groups are on-call, offering monetary assistance and other support. Some will even direct you to funding sources you may never discover in the course of your own research.

For additional opportunities, talk to people at Hawaii branches of charitable organizations that deal with your particular disability. Many award disability grants themselves, and they can all help you track down other sources.

Mobility Consultations: If you are unsure about what type of conversion would be best for you — or would like assistance with finding financial resources, you can request a Free Needs Analysis and Mobility Consultation at any of The Mobility Resource dealer locations.

 Used Wheelchair Van

Find your perfect Wheelchair Van

Select from thousands of wheelchair vans for sale from hundreds of nationwide dealers

The Mobility Resource has one of the largest selections of Dodge, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, Ford, Chevrolet wheelchair vans

View All Wheelchair Vans

Disclaimer: This information is intended to assist you in your purchase or financing of a wheelchair van, and is in no way an offer or advertisement for a free wheelchair van.


Assistive Technology Resource Centers (ATRCs) of Hawaii

ATRCs are federally funded nonprofit groups working to link disabled Hawaii residents with assistive technologies that help them lead more independent and productive lives. Inquire about securing financial aid for a wheelchair van.

200 N. Vineyard Blvd., Suite 430
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 532-7110


[email protected]

Hawaii Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

Persons with disabilities or age-related limited mobility can turn to their local ADRCs. These Centers are primary resources for information about all manner of available services, benefits and support. You can save yourself a lot of time and frustration by contacting your county’s ADRC first in your quest for disability grants. Click the provided link to get to a map of Hawaii. Select your county to find contact details for your area office.

643-ADRC (643-2372)
TTY Line: 643-0889


[email protected]

Hawaii Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)

There are six AAA centers in Hawaii. They serve senior citizen and disabled state residents in a variety of ways. Your county’s office can point you toward appropriate sources of financial aid. Find it via the directory at the link above.

(808) 586-4400


Hawaii Office of Veterans Services (OVS)

Hawaii’s OVS is a liaison between in-state veterans and the US Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as other veterans groups and State and Federal agencies. In this capacity, it facilitates delivery of services and support veterans earn through military participation. If enlistment resulted in limited mobility, you may be able to receive a disability grant through OVS that you can apply toward a handicap van or vehicle modifications.

Tripler Army Medical Center
459 Patterson Road
E-Wing, Room 1-A103
Honolulu, HI 96819
(808) 433-0420


Hawaii State Council on Developmental Disabilities (CDD)

The federally mandated CDD in every state was put in place to promote the capacity for self-determination and full community participation among citizens with developmental disabilities and their loved ones. If you or an immediate family member has a developmental disability and you live in Hawaii, this is a must-contact agency. Along with other assistance and services, you may receive a disability grant from the Council that’s applicable toward a handicapped-accessible vehicle.

919 Ala Moana Blvd., Suite 113
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 586-8100


[email protected]

Hawaii Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Services Program

Hawaii’s VR division was established by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. It is a State and Federal partnership geared towards job training and placement services for disabled residents. If a handicapped vehicle would enable you to enter the workforce, you may be entitled to a disability grant through the Program.

1901 Bachelot St.
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 586-9744


[email protected]

Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) of Hawaii

SILC of Hawaii aims to promote independent living and community integration for state residents with disabilities. The Council is not itself a source of disability grants for a handicapped-accommodating vehicle. It is, however, a key informative resource to take advantage of when trying to uncover all your options.

841 Bishop St., Suite 201
Honolulu, HI 96813


[email protected]


If you know of or work with another department, foundation or organization in Hawaii that belongs on this page, please forward its information to [email protected].