There are two main factors that determine the quality of a wheelchair van conversion: the vehicle quality and the conversion quality.
When it comes to wheelchair vehicles, there are several options ranging from minivans like the Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Grand Caravan, Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey to larger vehicles like the Ford Transit Van or Chevrolet Express. Understanding your needs and forming your personal criteria to choose a van will help ease the process tremendously. Once you’ve selected a vehicle, the next thing you’ll need to consider is the condition of the conversion.
Grading Categories for Wheelchair Van Conversions
Shopping for a van conversion can be confusing. Conversion conditions can be broken down into three categories: new-new, used-new, and used-used. This is a standard grading system that makes it easy to figure out the quality and pricing of your van conversion.
Find your perfect Wheelchair Van
Select from thousands of wheelchair vans for sale from hundreds of nationwide dealers
The Mobility Resource has one of the largest selections of Dodge, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, Ford, Chevrolet wheelchair vans
View All Wheelchair Vans
A new-new wheelchair van is a new vehicle with a new conversion. These conversions are a great option if you’re able to afford them. Purchasing a van in this condition provides the highest level of vehicle and equipment durability.
- Since you are getting a vehicle with little to no mileage, you’ll be able to drive your new conversion van for many years without having to deal with any repairs.
- It can often be easier to find a wheelchair conversion van with all your desired features when you’re purchasing a van that hasn’t been previously purchased – and potentially modified or customized by someone else.
- Unlike buying used conversion vans that don’t always provide a lot of details about who performed all the work on the vehicle, buying a van in brand new condition will provide comprehensive details and a warranty of typiclly 3 years/36,000 miles.
- Brand new wheelchair van conversions generally cost between $50,000 and $100,000, with some exceptions on either side of the price range.
Used-New Condition Van Conversions
A used-new wheelchair van conversion is a used vehicle with a new conversion. This option can offer many advantages if you’re looking to get an excellent wheelchair van conversion at a substantially lower price. Although the vehicle is used, the fact the conversion and all associated equipment are new will provide a high-quality reliable vehicle.
- Most used-new wheelchair vehicle conversion chassis are current, or one year old, model years with mileage under 30,000 miles and cost $5,000 to $10,000 less than a new-new conversion.
- Since mileage on these types of vehicles can range from ten to thirty thousand miles, this will be the primary factor that affects the price and reliability of the vehicle.
- If you don’t need a new vehicle, you may find it advantageous to save money on a used-new van with high miles.
Used-Used Condition Van Conversions
Used-used wheelchair van conversions are the most affordable option on the market. These vans are comprised of both a used vehicle and a used conversion – which means used-used vans will often have the most wear and tear.
- A used-used vehicle conversion can have from 10,000 to well over 100,000 miles and cost between $15,000 and $50,000.
- If you’re only planning to do occasional driving and short distances, a used-used vehicle might just be the perfect option for you.
Deciding Which Van Condition is Best for You
Understanding the van conversion grading system is just one step towards finding your perfect van. Deciding which van condition is best for you depends on a number of factors, but the most important is budget. As you work down the ladder from new-new to used-new and eventually to used-used, prices decrease accordingly.
Wheelchair conversion van conditions can sound confusing on the surface, but once you get through the industry jargon, they are fairly straightforward. Now that you understand the differences between van conversion conditions, you’re better-equipped to start searching for your perfect conversion van.